Author: Dorsey Velasquez
On a whim last month, I logged onto www.directstartv.com and decided to upgrade our stale satellite package before the holidays. It was perfect timing because the kids were about to be out of school and I needed to keep them occupied while my life went from high to overdrive. No one was more thrilled than my son with his new cartoon channels. All was going well until I began noticing a pattern. The advertising commercials were giving him all sorts of outrageous ideas for his Christmas list. I found myself just laughing and filing away in my memory to tell my husband the latest ridiculous thing that had our son’s eyes dancing with anticipation. I just about busted at the seams when my husband announced that for Christmas this year, we would be giving our children a lesson in life as their greatest gift. It would be the gift of disappointment. With outrageous requests coming from each of them, it only made sense that now was a good a time as any to learn you can’t get what you want just because you wrote it on a letter to Santa.


































1 comment:
I totally agree. My daughter get's to pick three things she'd like to have for Christmas. Then, my fiance and I pick out one item off the list. This way there's a bit of excitement for Lil Miss but she also understands that Christmas isn't about the gifts. She gets limited amounts of gifts from us. We try to keep it as little as possible. This way she'll be more thankful later in life with what she has and what she gets. (Or at least this is what we are hoping for.)
Post a Comment